This intern will work with the Bishop O'Dowd High School Living Lab Garden Educators in the day and/or extra curricular Certificate and Club programming. This includes collaboration on curriculum development, lesson delivery, and youth mentorship. Under the direction of the Ecological Gardener, participate in the care and maintenance of the four-acre Living Laboratory. Garden includes: native and drought tolerant landscaping, edible garden, orchard, domestic animals (chickens, rabbits, honey bees) pond and waterfall, redwood groves, meadows, extensive trails, and gathering spaces. The most optimal availability is on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday.
- Willingness and ability to take initiative
- Flexibility and an ability to continuously reflect and improve
- Ability to provide a consistent, professional, positive adult relationship to the youth we serve
- Ability to serve in diverse communities, and as part of a team
- Solid oral and written communication skills
- Strong program coordination skills
- Experience working with high school youth
- Proficient computer skills – for example Microsoft Office, Google Docs, social media, etc.
- Experience with workshop/lesson planning, curriculum tailoring, and comfort with facilitation
- Passionate about sustainability related topics and issues
- Access to reliable transportation (public transportation or personal transport) to travel to/from the School Site
- Successful completion of TB test, health screen, and Live Scan/fingerprinting (upon hire)
- U.S. citizen or lawful permanent residence